Quantcast

[gpars-dev] Possible new Website

Russel Winder-2
I am investigating whether it might be worth moving the GPars website
to GitHub Pages. Using Gant as one trial thingy and GPars as another I
am tinkering, but I am no website designer. I just wonder how we want
to progress this.

cf. http://gant.github.io/Gant/ and http://gpars.github.io/

The big issue here is light on dark or dark on light. I am a fan of
the former but I do not really represent the audience we are trying to
please. Though I note most programmers are switching to light on dark.

--
Russel.

Re: [gpars-dev] Possible new Website

Mario Garcia

The Gant github example looks nice. Having said that I don't think coders are going dark, I took a look to other languages/frameworks (for example clojure, akka ) and they're white. And of course Groovy projects like the Groovy site, Griffon, Grooscript are all white.

My opinion after watching so many white web sites is...lets go dark, lets be different :)

I think having the Gpars site at github is a great idea. That would make easier to keep docs up to date (I'm thinking about asciidoctor now).

Mario

On Fri, 2014-12-26 at 11:09 +0100, Mario Garcia wrote:
> The Gant github example looks nice. Having said that I don't think coders
> are going dark, I took a look to other languages/frameworks (for example
> clojure, akka ) and they're white. And of course Groovy projects like the
> Groovy site, Griffon, Grooscript are all white.

OK, that is two votes for light on dark. Given a turnout of 2 that means
100% in favour :-)

I have played with the gpars.github.io website to use the same font as
the ASCIIDoctor guide. However what is needed here is a CSS expert to
educate me into the ways of CSS à la 2014.

> My opinion after watching so many white web sites is...lets go dark, lets
> be different :)

:-)

> I think having the Gpars site at github is a great idea. That would make
> easier to keep docs up to date (I'm thinking about asciidoctor now).

I believe I have achieved step 1 of GrailsDoc → ASCIIDoctor for the
Guide. The website will be Jekyll based, which means HTML fragments as
far as I can tell as using Markdown appears only the thing to do for
blog posts.

--
Russel.